Monday, January 31, 2011

Split Pea Soup

I used to hate split pea soup growing up. Not because of the taste necessarily. I think it was because it is green. But, I am a huge fan now. It is a definite comfort food for me. I made this recipe this weekend:

http://www.legumesamis.com/search?q=split+pea+soup

I love this recipe and have made it many, many times. I like how it doesn't require a ham hock and is very simple. I usually always have the ingredients so it is a great go-to meal. I love serving it with hot bread or fresh muffins. Give it a try. It's delicious!

By the way, my one tip with this recipe is to omit the salt if you are using a veggie or chicken stalk that contains salt as your base. I've made this soup way too salty on a few occasions... which can't be undone. You can always add more salt at the end, if needed.

1 comment:

Caryn said...

I totally made your soup! And we loved it! I didn't realize it was such a huge recipe until it was too late, so I made the whole huge pot. We had some friends over to help us finish it up, and they loved it too. I used a combo of broth, boullion, and water. I didn't add any salt, so I'm glad you suggested to omit it. Have you tried this in a crock pot? Do you think it would work? Thank Molly!